Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Reduce Leg Fatigue, Varicose Veins and Restless Leg Syndrome during Pregnancy!

Do you stand up on your feet frequently during the day?

A Mum-to-be who just doesn't get the chance to sit down, sound familiar?!

If you are suffering with leg fatigue, muscle cramps, restless leg syndrome and varicose veins?
Wearing compression tights can actually help alleviate these frustrating pregnancy symptoms and it may be time to invest in a pair! 





It was during my second pregnancy that I started to notice my left calf muscle was sore. I wasn't exercising as much as I had been during my first pregnancy and I was on my feet ALL DAY.
I personal train clients 20-24 hours a week standing up around 90% of the time and this second pregnancy I had an 18 month old to look after who didn't sleep, like mother like daughter!
I don't know about you but second time around I couldn't just go home after work and put my feet up to relax and rest like I had managed first time!

 I was quite surprised at 20 weeks when I noticed veins which were very apparent and often sore in my left leg.  I was worried that they would be varicose veins and stick around forever!. They were uncomfortable and I certainly didn't want them to get any more painful. 

Varicose veins can increase with each pregnancy. It is not unusual for you to suffer with them in subsequent pregnancies even though you may not have had them during your first. Your veins are prone to this due to the pregnancy hormones relaxin and progesterone along with increased blood volume. 


Poor circulation is also a factor contributing to varicose veins and work and lifestyle changes in my second pregnancy decreased optimal blood circulation:


  • During my first pregnancy I only ever did 2 hours of clients in a row, now I was doing 4 or more clients back to back.
  • First Pregnancy I was exercising 1-2 times a day
  • I lived in my compression tights as this is what triathletes did.
  • I rested and put my feet up often.
I started wearing my compression tights again during the day and would wear lite compression tights in the evening and for a couple of hours at night.

The tights immediately stopped the soreness and if I wore them during the evening the veins would have disappeared by morning.
I also reduced the time on my feet by consciously sitting down more regularly when I was with my clients, making sure I had enough time to cool down properly after exercise and would stretch most evenings.
You also need to make sure that you are adequately hydrated to reduce these pregnancy symptoms.

I am sure that the compression clothing played a huge part in stopping the veins from becoming permanent varicose veins.

During my 3rd pregnancy the veins came back with a vengeance and looked much worse but again I managed to stop them aching and turning in to varicose veins by wearing the compression clothing, sitting down frequently and stretching during the evening. Stretching in the evening and light exercise can help reduce restless leg syndrome.

The veins in my legs had completely disappeared 2-3 weeks after giving birth.


Robyn at 32 weeks pregnant has worn compression tights every day, she has continued to work full time standing up all day and has only just stopped running. 


You can even wear whilst exercising: Robyn training with me at the gym 34 weeks

Compression tights help increase blood flow by improving venous return this can help prevent varicose veins, calf muscle cramps and reduce restless leg syndrome.

Compression clothing may also reduce fluid retention both pre and post pregnancy as studies have found that the fabric reduces muscle fatigue, swelling and muscle soreness.

Post birth they can also be worn to help recovery as they will help to reduce extra pregnancy fluid retention.


2XU are the market leaders in compression clothing and I would strongly recommend you invest in a pair during your pregnancy. Tights can be worn under clothing so are perfect for hairdressers or for women who work with small children and teachers.

If you are suffering with any of the above pregnancy symptoms then I would definitely recommend that you trial a pair of compression tights. You may have to go up just one size from your normal pre pregnancy size so that they last your entire pregnancy.

2XU Websites:
Auckland NZ http://www.2xu.co.nz/Stores/2XU-Performance-Centre-Newmarket
Global:http://www.2xu.com/landing/?r=/product-landing/2/Women 

Research on compression tights: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/diet-and-fitness/compress-yourself-20121227-2bwwg.html

Follow us on facebook and Pinterest



If you feel any pain or discomfort whilst exercising, stop. If pain continues consult you L.M.C or G.P. The information included in this article has been written by Lorraine Scapens: She is not able to provide you with medical advice, information is used as guide. You cannot hold Lorraine liable in any way for any injuries that may occur whilst training.







No comments:

Post a Comment